February 05, 2022

Horse 2971 - I Was On The News

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news_article?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJGJTJGZWJpenByZC5wb2xpY2UubnN3Lmdvdi5hdSUyRm1lZGlhJTJGOTk4MDQuaHRtbCZhbGw9MQ%3D%3D#:~:text=Investigations%20are%20continuing%20after%20a,been%20hit%20by%20a%20car.

Investigations are continuing after a pedestrian was hit by a car in Sydney’s CBD this morning.

About 7.45am (Friday 28 January 2022), officers attached to Sydney City Police Area Command were called to the intersection of Eddy Avenue and Pitt Street following reports a pedestrian had been hit by a car.

Police have been told a 44-year-old man was running across Pitt Street when was hit by a car travelling along the same street.

The man was treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics before being taken to hospital in a stable condition, suffering leg injuries.

- NSW Police, 28th Jan 2022

I am that man.

I was taken to St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney; where the care that has been given to me has been excellent. I don't remember anything about the accident. I only remember being on the road and wondering where I was. I was probably in so much shock that my brain simply forgot to record anything. Also likely is that being in so much pain is simply too much for a brain to handle.

Suffering leg injuries is an understatement. I have a clean broken tibia and fibula in my right leg. I have a proximal break of my humerus in my left arm. Both have been reset by surgeons with metalwork.

I am incredibly grateful and thankful to the fireys who were having a cup of coffee across the street. I am thankful to the police and ambulance workers who attended me while I was on the pavement. I am thankful for the emergency doctors, nursing staff, ancillary staff and surgeons who have made sure that I have pulled through this sterlingly. 

Ancillary staff in particular, do work which is both amazing and never really given much limelight. They are the ones who clean the floors, surfaces, benchtops, do the laundry and linens. They are the ones who make sure that we are fed.

Being in hospital with a broken arm and leg hasn't really changed my outlook on life at all. As a Commonwealth, any citizen in the country can receive as is in fact entitled to primary health care and to be looked after in accident, sickness, and chronic health conditions. If anything, I have shifted eveb further to the economic left and will say that every piece of private health care is inherently evil from a motive perspective; even though there might be a lot of people who work in the system.

----

It is now Saturday 5th of February and only now have I had a chance to properly asses the damage to my clothing. My trousers are gone. My tie is gone. My boots and socks are intact. The shirt and the singlet that I was wearing, were shredded and cut off when the first respondents cut their way through everything; doing what was reasonable.

My body acted as a protection device for my glasses and my watch and mysteriously, my Nokia 1 Plus phone is shattered but runs perfectly. 

Having no clothes other than underwear which is useful, has meant that I have been draped in a hospital, which while functional, is not very warmth giving. I think that because there are patients who might have fevers that they want to control, staying here is a bit like staying inside a Monaco Bar (white and cold). I might be sent home on Monday.

There is a lot to be said for the usefulness of clothes. Not accidentally cooking yourself at the stove top and nor freezing are definite advantages.



This is the result of an inelastic collision between two objects and vectored forces.

My head made a good impression on this windscreen.



No comments: