September 23, 2008

Horse 918 - The Road Tolls For Thee



http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/millions-lost-in-the-m5-black-hole/2008/09/22/1221935546566.html

The M2, M4, M5, M7, Cross City Tunnel, Lane Cove Tunnel, Warringah Expressway, Falcon St ramps, Eastern Distributor can all collectively jump as far as I'm concerned.

Coming home from a camp, I again expressed the opinion that I was denied from using the M7 because I didn't have an e-tag. It would appear that people think I'm crazy and should just go out and get one. However, articles like this one published in today's Sydney Morning Herald, just prove to me that the good and fair people of NSW are being taken for a ride and then forced to pay for privilege.

MILLIONS more taxpayer dollars will be poured into the M5 East tunnel for a computer upgrade after yet another glitch closed the tunnel yesterday, forcing more than 20,000 motorists into back-street gridlock and embarrassing a Government under siege.

Um who was that again? Did you say Taxpayer Dollars? I think I'm a taxpayer... yep, it appears so. Does that not mean that I'M PAYING FOR A FRIGGIN ROAD I CAN'T DAMN WELL USE. I'VE NEVER PAID FOR NOTHING BEFORE!

Last night the Roads and Traffic Authority was threatening to "tear up" the operating contract for the $800 million tunnel, awarded to Baulderstone Hornibrook Bilfinger & Berger, and foreshadowing it may take over the road itself.

Good. Do it. NOW. I don't see why my tax dollars should be used to prop up any private enterprise at all. It was a buisness decision for those poor poor sould to build their precious road, and if they can't turn a profit by screwing the motorist, then they should just suffer. The government doesn't bail out the local hardware store or the record shop when they go broke do they. Why should they even lift a finger just because someone is richer.

The road has been so overwhelmed by demand the Government has to pay regular penalties to BHBB, totalling as much as $13 million by 2011. The Government last year paid $25 million in compensation to Connector Motorways, the operator of the Lane Cove Tunnel.

Boo hoo hoo, have a cry. Poor Connector Motorways. I feel soooo sorry for them. Perhaps they should have a little lie down and a cup of cocoa.

That $25m is going to go to directors and managers anyway, in payments like golden handshakes. Why the heck should the taxpayer compensate a business when that business actively lobbied for a denial of service in the first friggin place. Epping Rd through Lane Cove has been but back to a single pathetic lane in either direction, and the traffic jam which used to extend all the way up the M2, now goes around the corner of the M7 as well.

That's progress for you aint it?

The new Roads Minister, Michael Daley, was talking tough yesterday: "My message to the CEO and the motorway company on behalf of motorists will be a very clear one. If you can't run this motorway properly, we will find someone who can."

Good. Let the State Government do it. I have a little sticker on my window which I pay a pretty penny for every year. Here's a thought - how about using that amount called "Motor Vehicle Tax" in actually providing a service for... Motor Vehicles. Now what do Motor Vehicles drive on? Roads. Ahah!

The Herald has been reliably informed that a key problem with the forecast was the Carr government's introduction of Cashback on the M5, which pays back motorists the cost of their toll.

BECAUSE THERE SHOULDN'T BE A TOLL IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU STUPID BASTARDS!

No comments: