February 05, 2009

Horse 954 - Nadal es un Pollo Gigante



There is a Spanish Restaurant not too far away from where I work. Amongst the overpriced specials probably involving juz, rocket, tofu and torremolinos and other assorted faux and erzats Spanish words was the menu item: Nadal es un Pollo Gigante.

Now my Spanish to be honest is only slightly better than my Polish (Kiedy, Po Co, Witaj and Usta - being "when?" "what for?" "hello" and "lips" - like Larry the Cucumber I know four words in Polish) but I'm pretty sure that Nadal es un Pollo Gigante means "Nadal is a Giant Chicken". I could of course be totally wrong about this but consdering that Pollo is also the Italian word for chicken and I can't think of what else Gigante could be for other than Giant, I'm assuming I'm right.

In which case: Why is Nadal a Giant Chicken? Is it being used in the perjorative? If so, then I still don't understand as Nadal showed quite stoic and strong qualities in the Australian Open final to beat Federer in five sets. Are they perhaps using it as some sort of mascot type thing? Again I am confused as the common chicken Gallus Gallus is the national emblem of France and not Spain.

I suppose that the only thing that Nadal es un Pollo Gigante could mean is that he literally looks like a Giant Chicken. Maybe I'm just ignorant but I can't say I ever noticed this before. I mean if you look at the picture below, there's no evidence at all that he looks like a Giant Chicken.



PS: Most of this story is a fib - except the fact that I think that Nadal es un Pollo Gigante

No comments: