July 02, 2009

Horse 1011 - I Officially Hate Music

http://rollo75.blogspot.com/2008/07/horse-894-day-music-died.html
I don't know if this is an unintended consequence, but I've found that in the days that followed (including this morning) I can't listen to music of any sort on the radio and any enjoyment I would have got from it has been drained to the point of zero.

1 year ago today in the name of changing what went into my mind, I put a sledgehammer through my iPod and threw out all my CDs and between 80%-90% of my DVDs and comic books. So then one year on what are the results?

I HATE MUSIC.

No seriously, that's it. I actually find myself hating music, in anything, hidden as the background in television programs, in adverts, in shopping centres, and especially on the radio.
In the car, any music is met with a swift "shut up!" on my part before either the station is switched, or the whole radio is given the flick entirely.

At first this was because of a deliberate effort to do so, but now it's more through sheer annoyance, not only at the sounds but at the very concept itself.

There are of course two great points of irony here:

The first of which is that the CD single as from today is no longer on sale in Australia. There are no singles in CD format that can be bought from any outlet in the country... mind you, you'd actually be pushed to find a new music outlet these days.

The second is that I'm involved in the music ministry at church. For this I adopt an entirely different attitude. Behind the VDP or the sound desk, one doesn't actually need to listen to music for enjoyment purposes. My purpose there is for the rest of the congregation. So as far as I'm concerned, if they're getting something out of it, then that's good, but as for my own devices, well... it's not about me is it?

Of course, I don't necessarily mean to rag on musicians who I must admit have more talent and skill than I posess. It's just that with the radio off, and with constantly annoyed by music, I can't appreciate that talent or skill, and already have no desire to listen to their output.

No comments: