February 25, 2005

Horse 303 - Football Philosophy 101

In the game of football a team's character more often than not is defined by the make up of the formation and sometimes more often than not the philosophy of the coach/manager.

Having plied my trade at Winno for so long, the move to Wenty Uniting I've found almost disheartening. I always knew that the skills I had to read a game from the middle were there and in quite a number of places I still can evade defenders and direct play, BUT...
Wenty Uniting plays a vastly different game than I am used to. On the whole we seem to be rather intent on playing the tram lines and frequently I find myself running backwards from behind RM to RB. Also I find that turn-in happens far later than expected, either through unsuredness or vacillation; what this invariably means is that at this stage I'm quite often 10ft behind the ball expecting something not forthcoming. Admittedly, technically I lack a left foot and some basic defending skills, begrudingly even in training I'm tending to fall back to a defensive-mid rather than a central role and I also expect that as a newbie that I am still invisible on the park.

So for this year I trade the Orange kit for the Blue, the 13 strip for probably the 27, Max Ruddock Reserve for the fields of Freame and a side built around a mid 6 to one built from the defensive 4. 2005 will be a season of total change both physically and philosophically speaking. Houghdy will fix it, Damascus was on the road, but only time will tell what Rollo will do.

Follow http://wentyfootball.org/ for all results, photos n stuff. I expect our intrepid reporters of Thommo, Houghdy & BJD will kee you all informed.

No comments: