October 10, 2005

Horse 415 - Inside the Space of the Mundane

After church last night and after I'd copied a few CD's of the sermon, I retreated back to my usual job of filing the music and songsheets back into the files, to find a rather largish pile of extra fun bonus stuff. Now I didn't have to undertake this task ( B said that he was quite capable on Thursday) but by this stage my throat had basically packed it in and I couldn't really see the point of going out after the service if I was incapable of talking.
With precious little else to do, then why shouldn't I have done it? Here I was with all this extra bonus time, so it had to be put to some use.

The church emptied and no-one even said so much as boo to me until the lights started going out. By this stage the only people left were myself and one of our pastors, Luke. He offered to help file the stack of stuff and so I relented my grip and took his help.

He really didn't have to, I'm more than sure that there were far more important things to do in the world. In fact I'm sure that being home 20 minutes earlier with his family would have been ten thousand times more enjoyable than filing with someone who by this stage was virtually silent.

Nevertheless I was touched by someone who did a relatively menial act when they didn't have to. In fact if you're reading this B, make an effort to thank Luke for me on Thursday. Such service is appreciated and especially when not called on.

No comments: