October 17, 2007

Horse 815 - Green Slip Within a Green Slip



Today being the 17th, I have the arduous task of paying my road tax and registration. I am still confused as to a new entry I've found on my Green Slip.

The way I understand it, the Green Slip aka Compulsory Third Party Personal Injury Insurance is designed in the first place to indemnify vehicle owners and drivers who are legally liable for personal injury to any other road user in the event of a motor vehicle accident. CTP Insurance should provide cover for personal injury claims made against the defendant by other road users such as drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and pillion passengers.

Enter the MCIS Levy. As stated in the documentation, the MCIS Levy funds ambulance, hospital, life-time care and other services for people injured in motor vehicle accidents... Hang on! Let's review this shall we?

CTP Insurance provides cover against injury claims made against the defendant by other road users such as drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and pillion passengers.

An injury claim in a personal injury case (because we really want to make it that obvious) is generally made for the costs incurred as a result of personal injury (this is one of the great Derrs of History). What sort of costs would they be I wonder? Would ambulance, hospital, life-time care and other services for people injured in motor vehicle accidents fit that set of conditions?

Have I got the wrong end of the stick here, or does this sound like a double take on a double take?

No comments: