March 05, 2012

Horse 1285 - With a fancy car - 13 points (Total: 41)


As lovely as this Series II Jaguar XJ12 actually is, this is more of a tale of disappointment. I was foiled in four separates attempts to gain other prizes worth 20 and 30 points. I wonder which one will become my "Eleanor".
Mosman being the tenth richest susburb in the country according to the last census has no shortage of "fancy" motor cars. To get this photo was as simple as walking out of the building where I work and walking no more than about 100 meters.
I actually had 7 different shots I could have used for this in various states of lighting. There was a Mercedes-Benz CLS350, three black Range Rovers, a Holden Maloo 317 and even a BMW 2002 Turbo I could have chosen but this was the nicest.

The Series II Jaguar XJ12 here is the same V12 first seen on the E-Type, the ill fated XJ13 and the XJS which would go on to win the 1984 European Touring Car Championship, 1984 Spa 24 Hour Race and the 1985 Bathurst 1000.
Because this car was built in Coventry, like most British cars it would have been specially built with a set of faults which would be only particular to this car. Also, because it uses Jaguar's V12, it would more than likely use more oil than a really desperate Friday Night Fry-Up.
One thing is certain, I have no doubt that this "12 Cylinder Symphony" is easily one of the most glorious sounding engines ever to have been built.

Jaguar drivers for some unknown reason have a reputation for flirting with anything with a skirt. I don't know if that also means that they'd also flirt with 1980s "ground effects" Formula One cars and prime-movers of Semi-Trailers but it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe it all has to do with the phrase "I've got a Jaaaaaaag". Instantly in my mind's eye, Terry-Thomas makes an appearance as does Peter Cellier who play both Sir Frank Gordon in "Yes Minister" and the Major in "Keeping Up Appearances"

I had originally toyed with the idea of taking a picture of a Toyota Corolla and posting it. The current Corolla can be optioned with traction control, vehicle stability control, anti-lock brakes, variable valve timing, double overhead camshafts... it must be said that even a Corolla or a Yaris has far more fancy controls and options than even a Mercedes-Benz S-Class did 20 years ago. Sometimes I stop and consider that we truly do live in the future.

No comments: